Pages

14 August 2009

Yeah, no.

Does anyone else find this kind of disturbing?




When I stumbled out of my heels from a long, hard day at work, I was super pumped to find my first September Fashion Issue -- each year I look forward to those ten pound glimpses into what the next year of fashion will hold. But this is a little too much a little too soon, don't ya think?

I'm starting to become quite disillusioned with all fashion mags which is something I never thought I'd say, having been a regular reader since the age of at least nine. But between the reality tv shows, the movies, the bad publicity and the sell-out covers, my favorite fashion rags are starting to rival the likes of In Touch and US Weekly. What the hell?

This cover is, unfortunately, not the first time I've questioned Bazaar's rationale as of late. As a subscriber, I get "the good" covers, but the newstands get some other spin of the decades old magazine which is usually covered in multi-colored headlines over the headshot of some big-shot actress making it look more like the cover of a glossy tabloid than a high quality fashion magazine. And how exactly do they justify the production of two different magazine covers per month in these economic times anyway?

I don't think paying respect to The King of Pop so shortly after his sudden demise with a happy, shiney faced Agyness Deyn donning his look circa 1983 was the way to go. Maybe if we were celebrating his birthday or the anniversary of his first triple platinum, then I could see it. But sudden death does not equate little skinny white girls with big smiles plastered on their faces to generate magazine sales.

Dignity anyone?

Fashion magazines get a bad wrap as it is for superficiality and feeding the consumer monster. Maybe if they upped the humanity factor, and focused more on the substantial contribution fashion makes to art, philanthropic endeavors, and, quite simply, the global economy, they'd sell more issues? Just a suggestion...

No comments:

Post a Comment