Pages

21 February 2011

What's Up New York!

After a week of unplanned overtime on the job front, I'm finally getting caught up on Fashion Week! Oh, hoorah! So much is going on in London as we speak, I don't even want to look because I know I'll fall madly in love and not give New York a second thought. Sorry, New York, but I continue to feel a clinical and distant appreciation for your production while feeling strongly seduced by what's across the pond. Step it up, America, the future doesn't have to be so bleak.


Theysken's Theory

I love the diversity of this collection and though I wouldn't normally highlight denim, I love the styling of this look. Also, j'adore the velvet military duster and really would like to just live in it for awhile.

The Row
Mary Kate & Ashley finally impressed me with their Row collection -- this is actually wearable and quite interesting instead of depressing and shapeless.

Anna Sui
Inspired by the Ballet Russes exhibit at the V&A. As always, Sui delivers a lot of character but I still think I've reached the max age limit to even consider her work.

Ralph Lauren
Quite possibly the most perfect trifecta of black dresses seen on a runway in ages.

I am also loving Lauren's Asian-inspired touches within a 30's motif.

Naeem Khan
Gorgeous and ornate, in other words standard Naeem Khan.

Monique Lhuillier

Love this collection -- very French, very coquettish. The texture gives it so much life you don't even really notice the minimal color palette.

Marc Jacobs
I get that Marc went with the reinvention tour on this one, reinventing some of his earliest designs in much more structured models, but I..am...just...not...into...this. I know, I know, it's sacrilege especially given my constant outpouring of adoration for his work but, yeah, just not feeling these two above.

These three are more my speed but I'm still concerned.

Isaac Mizrahi

I love that Isaac Mizrahi is...well...so Isaac Mizrahi. He's not afraid to have fun on the runway and does New York need a heavy dose of his chutzpah! These pastel dipped confections mixed with actual baked confections and matching poodles to boot? I love! It's fun and flirty and every girl needs that on occasion.

Malandrino
If that third look was a dress, we'd have ourselves a full cauldron.

L'Wren Scott
L'Wren Scott always nails it, even when she's keeping things simple.

L.A.M.B.
This collection was sent out in several separate global influenced montages, if you will. I appreciate Gwen Stefani's open-minded nature that allows her to draw inspiration from all different cultures and sources around the world but it was a bit over kill. Plus, I can't not look at her line and just see her. If I want to look like Gwen, I could go to the costume store for about 10% of the price. Just sayin'.

Jenny Packham
Love. All Oscar-worthy (which is just a few days away).

Imitation
Soft glamgoth? Sure!

Carolina Herrera
Sometimes I feel like the motifs at Herrera get a little overworked but, at the same time, I am always a sucker for her dresses -- as are 100 movie stars so I'm sure we will see plenty of this on Sunday.

Diane von Furstenberg
I wasn't crazy about this collection; it felt a little overdone to me as well. But I love these first two looks -- especially the second which seems uber-eccentric for DVF. The third dress, while not my cup of tea, is a popular trend in evening wear these days, don't ask me why -- Linda Evans called, she wants her look back.

Derek Lam
Soft, billowy, romantic but still edgy. Love that guy.

Donna Karan

Donna Karan got some negative feedback on this show -- too stark some said, lady-like has been done 100 times other said, Grace Kellyisms are played still others said. I'm sure this will come as no shock to you given my penchant for vintage and all things classic Hollywood, but I love it. No, I wouldn't necessarily put all the pieces together because I'd feel like I was a pie away from the Women's Club, but a relaxed version of these could be oh so chic.

Dennis Basso
Makes me long for the Aran Islands and cool Irish breezes.

Creatures of the Wind
I think the copy on this collection that quoted the designers as saying the show was about sailors' wives and what they called the "romanticism of waiting for a husband they don't know for sure is coming back" really played into the seduction. I want them all now.

Christian Cota
I love the contrast; it's really appealing.

Chado Ralph Rucci
My favorite thing about this show was the architecture of the pieces -- obviously why he is known as the only American couturier.

Chris Benz

I am wildly in love with the Chris Benz collection inspired by the architecture, spirit and all too believable and enchanting ghost stories of Savannah, Georgia. Just lovely.

Carlos Miele
Once again, I do not like fur unless it's in faux formation but I am completely in love with these velvet pants and the harem-esque skirt. They are all divine.


Badgley Mischka
This is the most "breakout of our comfortable mold" I've seen the boys in awhile! I love these cocktail dresses, such a refreshing change from their ultra-formal, ultra-girly floor sweeping frocks of years gone by. These are much more fun, more powerful and scads sexier without relinquishing the level of class their garments are known for.

Betsey Johnson
Another American designer who knows how to have fun, this show really looked like it was a blast! She showed two different lines, a lot of throwback to classic Betsy, and a parade of Betsey look-alikes including men and women in fringe-banged blond wigs -- all on Valentine's Day, hence the rose parade in the middle shot. The second line was the official introduction of her new lower priced Pink Patch Line. You can't not love her, her spirit is simply contagious.

Bibhu Mohapatra
An interesting and creative blend of contemporary lines with really vintage-influenced pieces. I like that. A hard chord to strike, I think this is quite balanced.


Bill Blass
Another one I adore -- and I'm so glad to see the breath of life sweeping back through this line. Bill Blass is a legend and it's exciting to see a show of this caliber in his name again. I am loving the very Catherine Deneuve circa 1970's feel of it all.

Barbara Tfank
To say that something is lacking when watching a show online vs. watching it live must be a staggering understatement because for the most part, Barbara Tfank's show got good reviews. To me, from where I sit late at night, the house full of snoring boys, I thought it was just too mall/mother of the bride/bad prom dressy for me. But I did love what she did with leather -- especially in these two looks.

Alice & Olivia
Adore. Adore. Adore. And want it all.

A Detacher
There is something so subtle about these looks that they becoming terribly entrancing. I just love the simplicity but the strength of each piece. Of course it doesn't hurt that the line was described as "active wear for reading" which I've been waiting for my whole life.

3.1 Phillip Lim
Not my favorite 3.1 Phillip Lim show ever presented but he's still a favorite.

London is next -- stay tuned!
xoxo,
kvlm

No comments:

Post a Comment