Pages

22 February 2010

More from NY, at the bedside of a Carmex/Ricola shrine

At least we've moved away from medication finally but I am, as ever, addicted to my Carmex and Ricola (pink bag only, thank you). I spent the whole day sleeping so one would think I would be up, bouncing about in normal form but not so much. I've become one with my pillow-top and dark purple chenille blanket -- and it scares me. A lot.

But what scares me even more are the models used at the Marchesa show. I would love more than anything to highlight the gorgeous dresses from that runway as we all know I am a HUGE fan of a good dress, especially one that reeks of drama. But what I am not a huge supporter of is anorexia or bulimia. My husband and I sat aghast at the sight of the Marchesa models. And its not as if it were just one that looked sickly and maybe in need of a tube, IV, or in the very least, a paramedic but it was all of them. Every. Single. One. Not ok with me. Especially right now when the CFDA is considering revamping the sample size and trying to flesh out (no pun intended) the fashion industries play in the hand of fate dealt the very young models that get subjected to this decrepit and antiquated mentality.

I try to think of what it would be like if my niece in all of her unique beauty and insane height at the age of 15 went to a casting call for someone like Marchesa and was turned away because although she is a size 2, she looks healthy (oh, the horror!). I also think about the fact that Karl Lagerfeld, not to just pick at him but let's just go there (he's such an easy target these days with the anti-fat that comes pouring out of his crooked-toothed mouth) was, in fact, FAT. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I remember the '80's because I'm not 12 and Karl was Zaftig. Period.

Anyway, this is a much hotter topic right now than I'm giving light to but I just can't even go into not functioning at full capacity so I'll shelf that for just a while longer. (But if you are interested and you'd like an actual model's perspective of how dangerous this notion is becoming, please check out Coco Rocha's blogspot...and while I'm at it, can I just say "Give 'em hell, Coco, give them hell.")

At any rate, as promised, before delving into the insane gorgeousness that is coming out of London, here are some more of my favorites from New York. (photos nymag)

Anna Sui

Badgley Mischka

Dennis Basso

Dennis Basso

Isaac Mizrahi

Diane von Furstenberg

Derek Lam

Christian Cota

Barbara Tfank

Milly

Max Azria

Marc by Marc Jacobs

Michael Kors

J. Mendel

Ralph Lauren

Oscar de la Renta

Narciso Rodriguez

Nanette Lepore

Mulberry

Tibi

Thuy

Sophie Theallet, CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Winner

Sophie Theallet, and Michelle Obama favorite

Rodarte

Jason Wu for TSE

and Betsey Johnson who always says it best


until London,
xoxo,
kvlm

No comments:

Post a Comment